Tracy Southard, RYT500, CYT, C-IAYT
Shortly after her first studio class, Tracy found herself returning to yoga for relaxation, for stress reduction and to further calm her mind. As a longtime student of Bethany Beach Yoga, Tracy kept showing up on her mat and somewhere along the way, the practice transformed her — both on and off the mat. She feels very fortunate to be able to share with others her passion for yoga and her love of the practice. She has taught all levels of yoga at various area studios and locations and enjoys working with students of all abilities. Tracy makes time for her own continuing professional development by taking lessons and attending classes and workshops.
A Yoga Training Rooted in Therapeutics & Body Mechanics
With no intention of actually teaching yoga, Tracy began her 200-hour teacher training at Golden Heart Yoga in Annapolis, Maryland in 2009 to further deepen her own practice. Inspired by the training she received under Jenny Otto, Tracy was teaching classes by graduation. She completed her 500-hour advanced teacher training with Jenny Otto through Body Balance Yoga and was certified as a Body Balance Yoga® Teacher in 2010. She apprenticed under Jenny Otto and assisted in Body Balance Yoga Therapy Trainings (2010-2012) in Silver Spring, MD. Through Jenny Otto and Body Balance Yoga Therapy Trainings, Tracy's yoga training is rooted in therapeutics, anatomy and body mechanics. She is grateful to all of the amazing teachers and students who have inspired her. And with gratitude to one of her first teachers, Lori Roe, who help set the foundation and lit this path.
Teaching Alexander Technique-enhanced yoga classes
Off the mat, Tracy is owner of OceanWild Design and a full-time graphic designer. Seeking to resolve ergonomic issues associated with a designer's life, Tracy began studying the Alexander Technique in 2012 taking lessons with Robin Gilmore of Chesapeake Bay Alexander Studies in Annapolis, MD. She believes the technique is a great extension of self-care and a complement to her yoga practice and profession as a designer. As another avenue of movement re-education, her yoga classes are further enhanced by the principles of the Alexander Technique including visual imagery and body mapping.
- Certified Yoga Therapist (C-IAYT) by International Association of Yoga Therapists, since 2016
- Certified Body Balance Yoga® Teacher (CYT) by Jenny Otto, since 2010
- 500-hour Advanced Yoga Teacher Training (RYT 500) at Body Balance Yoga, Annapolis, MD, 2010
- 200-hour Yoga Teacher Training (RYT 200) at Golden Heart Yoga, Annapolis, MD, 2009
- Registered Yoga Teacher (RYT) with Yoga Alliance, since October 2009 (The yoga therapy components of Tracy's teaching are based on her studies with Jenny Otto and Body Balance Yoga – School of Yoga Therapy, not derived from her status as an RYT with Yoga Alliance Registry.)